Monday, April 29, 2013

Wine Math...

I know I mentioned it yesterday, but it's really bothering me.  I've been pretty unhappy about my weight gain last year, largely because I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from.  I had maintained my weight for quite some years without real effort.  However, over the last year (as I've also mentioned) I have considerably increased my wine consumption.  Last night, as I sat down to enjoy my "reward" glass of wine, I decided to do some basic math to see if it could have actually been the wine that's added the pounds. 
Okay let's do some math.  These numbers are estimates, I haven't actually kept track of how much wine I've been drinking.  But I went from maybe buying a bottle every other month, to buying 5-8 bottles a month.

2 Glasses (300 about calories) of wine a night roughly 5 days a week = an extra 1500 calories.  That's like a whole extra days worth of food a week without any nutritional benefit.

We'll guess I did that maybe 40 weeks out of the last year x1500 = 60,000 calories

Roughly 4082 calories = 1 pound, means that the wine can account for about 14.5 pounds of my gain.

Take into consideration that I've been exercising less, and I think that is a pretty fair look at what's happened without too much detail on the rest of my diet.

However, that's great news!  Because that means that with an increase in my exercise and a decrease in my wine consumption I can at the very least stop the gain right away.  Stopping the mystery gain is a first step in getting back to being comfortable with my weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment