Sunday, May 20, 2012

Growing Our Own - Getting the Garden Planted

My hubby was out playing in the garden today.  We bought some trellises for the cucumbers so that they would help to shade our basil and keep it from getting sun burnt. The beds are a mess because I wasn't able to manage them last year, they went fallow and the weeds went crazy.   He tilled the beds, but I feel like we're going to be fighting with the weeds for awhile.  We really need to do some clean up on the ground around the beds as well, but that can wait until after the beds are planted.

This year we're hoping to grow potatoes, tomatoes, onions, red bell pepper, jalapenos, cucumbers for slicing and pickling, basil, oregano, thyme, chives and lavender.  We've also been talking about pumpkin and some sort of melon.  LoL... Can you tell we eat a lot of Italian and Mexican?  Another potato tower will go in in a couple of weeks.  Staggering the planting keeps us from getting a zillion pounds of potatoes all at once.

My fibro and my desire for homegrown veggies are not always compatible. I hope that I'll be able to help him with the garden this year.   I helped weed a little bit, but my back is not happy with me, so I came in and took a muscle relaxer. I'm really proud of him getting this together again for us this year!

Here are a few pictures from today!

Photos from 2012 Garden May

No comments:

Post a Comment