Thursday, February 7, 2013

Walk / Flare / Cry

Yesterday I did my first walking workout in a year.  I did about 1. 3 miles in 30 minutes on the indoor track at the YMCA.  My time was slow and it was exhausting, the only guy on the track that seemed to be slower than me was an 80 Year old man using a walker.  But I didn't feel horrific during the walk just tired. 

Flash forward 5 hours and my back is really not happy with me.  Another 5 hours and I was in a full on Fibro flare with pain upwards of an 8 on a 1-10 scale.  The only thing that didn't hurt on my body was my head, but my head was causing me all sorts of other problems.  I quickly spiraled down into an "I'm fat, and ugly, and there's no way I'll ever be able to do a half marathon, I can't do this" pity party.  Crap.  I took some heavy pain medication and headed to bed.

Before the pain got out of control I remembered that when I was working out previously I was following a pattern of Ride - Walk - Rest.  I can't remember being in this much pain after walking before, but I must have come up with that rotation for a reason.  The pain is better this morning with just my back twinging.  I decided that I needed to take an extra rest day today, so tomorrow I'll go back to the gym and use that rotational schedule.  Ride - Walk - Rest to give my body the best opportunity for recovery after the walking (and eventually running) work outs.

I was doing so great with the bike rides and feeling great about working out again, yesterday's walk did rotten things to both my body and my head.  What am I thinking, can I REALLY pull off a Half Marathon?  Seriously?  I have roughly 379 days to get to the point that I can run/walk 13.1 miles in roughly 3:45:00.  Today it seems completely insurmountable. 

3 comments:

  1. My friend you are amazing and I have complete faith in your ability to do this! At least you're getting out to the gym and trying (which is more than I can say for myself!). And 379 days til the Princess 1/2? Piece of cake. Oh wait...we'll save the cake until AFTER the 13.1 miles. :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Traci :-) I'm trying to think positive, I'll be back to the gym tomorrow. The good news is that my broken toe held up well during the walk. I guess that's something right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is good about the broken toe! :)

    ReplyDelete